Have you invested a lot of time and money into your website, but it’s not generating any sales?
The goal of many individuals and businesses is to earn passive income from their websites.
You may be making some content marketing mistakes that are preventing your site from reaching its sales potential.
Let’s change that by exploring effective content marketing strategies that will help your site make more sales.
Focus on building trust
Google defines websites that deal with selling products, health, finances, and other major topics as “Your money or your life” content type.
When people buy from a website, there is the potential for real risk, like losing their money, getting harmful content, or having their data misused. Google recognizes this and penalizes sites that use spammy content marketing tactics like keyword stuffing.
You also need to build trust with your audience and search engines by creating content that showcases your authenticity.
Proceed as follows:
- Write high-quality, well-researched, accurate and informative content
- Post content regularly, as infrequent blog posts and social media posts signal a business that is not active
- Ask your audience for comments and reviews. And then share that content on your website
Use an SEO and blog writing checklist to help you create relevant content that delivers real value. When you build trust and make it clear that your website is secure enough for someone to enter their card details, you will start to see an increase in sales.
Make the payment process easier
Although this tip is more about web design, content marketing also plays a role in making shopping online easier.
Here are a few tips :
- Add descriptive text to your buttons. Instead of having purchase buttons that just say “Buy” or “Order”, it might be better for yours to say “Complete your purchase”. It depends on your industry and your audience. So test and find the best text for your cart buttons
- Use plain language in your product pages and provide information such as shipping, delivery costs, etc. on the same page
- When a product purchase is made, don’t leave your buyers hanging. Create a thank you page for users where they can read content that helps them with their new purchase. If you’re selling an online course, redirect users to the course page. And you can also send a follow-up email with information on what to do after buying from you
Simple content marketing tactics like these build trust after your buyer makes a purchase. They make the buying process easier and also entice your customers to do something right away.
Focus on providing solutions
You might think that to make more sales, your content marketing needs to focus on buying customers. But this type of “push” marketing often puts people off.
Instead, focus on “pull” marketing and create blog posts that help people without any direct requests asking people to buy from you.
For example, at my company, we help people create optin popups for their websites. But most of our blog posts are about helping people learn how to create conversions.
Such content drives a lot of traffic to our website. And as people learn more about lead generation, they become interested in our product and ultimately decide to buy from us.
Educate your audience
One of the reasons people might not buy from your website is because they don’t know what to do with your products and services.
They don’t understand the benefits your product creates or how to generate them for their own offerings.
Make customer education an important part of your marketing. We’ve created a “university” where we teach people how to drive conversions and create leads.
When customers know how to use our products well, they will see positive results and stay with us for a long time.
You can teach your customers how to achieve their goals with your products by creating educational content.
Create YouTube videos, create blog posts, write articles, and even create an online course for people to take. Savvy customers will buy from you and create higher lifetime value.
Offer a free trial
People risk investing money in a product that might not be good for them when they buy something.
And this risk even prevents people from trying a product. To overcome this, offer people a free trial of your product for a week or 30 days.
If you want, you can also ask people to buy, but get a 30-day money-back guarantee if they’re not satisfied.
Such measures reduce risk and customers feel more comfortable completing their purchases.
Any website has the potential to drive sales and generate revenue. However, you need to follow specific content marketing best practices to achieve this.
I have shared some powerful tips that you can apply to create more customers. Tinker with them or try them all and you’ll get increased sales and conversions from there.